Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Application Deadline: 28 January 2024
Position Title: Senior Project Assistant/Project Coordinator
Contract duration: 9 months, renewable Starting Date: as soon as possible Reference Code: SVN 04-01/24
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – the UN Migration Agency – is the leading inter- governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM, together with the international community, assists the population of BiH in rebuilding their lives and working for a better future. Today, with a focus on building the capacity of the BiH government to manage migration, IOM is working with a wide range of governmental and non-governmental partners in a wide range of migration related areas, including, amongst others, the protection of vulnerable migrants; border management; assisted voluntary return; diaspora; technical assistance on migration management; disaster risk reduction and recovery.
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission, and the direct supervision of the Migration Response Coordinator, the successful candidate will support the implementation of project activities within IOM’s Humanitarian Assistance and Protection pillar.
- Assist in the planning, coordination, implementation and monitoring of project activities.
- Compile, summarize, analyze, and present information/data on specific project topics, highlighting noteworthy issues for the consideration of appropriate parties.
- Monitor budget implementation and propose adjustments as necessary.
- Act as focal point for administrative coordination of project implementation, involving extensive liaison with diverse organizational units and external parties to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, follow-up on administrative actions, etc.
- Draft status reports; identify shortfalls in delivery, bring them to the attention of the supervisor and suggest corrective measures.
- Draft correspondence on project issues; prepare and update reports, briefing notes, graphics, statistical tables, and other forms of documentation.
- Organize meetings, workshops and training sessions; prepare training materials and participate in the delivering of capacity building workshops.
- Respond to complex information requests and inquiries; set up and maintain files/records.
- Participate in meetings and conferences; maintain effective liaison and coordination with local authorities, partners, United Nation agencies, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, donors and other stakeholders relevant to the project.
- Monitor work of implementing partners and report any non-compliance to the supervisor.
- Provide inputs for the development of Standard Operations Procedures (SOP) and concept papers and provide general support for the development of new projects.
- Provides guidance/training and assist in coordinating and monitoring work of other staff in the unit; may supervise other staff as assigned.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
All duties and responsibilities will be carried out in strict adherence to IOM policies and guidelines, including those related to confidentiality and data protection.
- School diploma with six years of relevant experience; or,
- Bachelor’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Development Studies, Migration Studies, Human Rights, Law or related fields from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, national/international institutions, United Nations agencies and non-governmental organizations;
- Experience in working with migrants, refugees, internally displaced persons, victims of trafficking and other vulnerable groups; and,
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- Good communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming.
- Fluency in English and one of the three languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian)
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application (IOM PHF- Personal History Form and motivation letter) electronically by email to: email@example.com. Please be advised that only attached PHF will be taken into consideration and processed. Internal candidates are to apply by sending Internal Application Form in attachment.
Subject: SVN 04-01/24
Applications must be received by 28 January 2024. Posting period: 15 January 2024 – 28 January 2024
As part of the mandatory medical entry on duty clearance, external candidates will be requested to provide evidence of full vaccination against COVID-19
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
For all IOM vacancies, applications form qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
Vacancy is open to candidates residing in the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country which is within commuting distance of the duty station. Candidates applying from another location outside commuting distance will be considered locally recruited and will not be eligible for allowances or benefits available to eligible internationally-recruited staff. In all cases, a prerequisite of taking up position as a staff member in the GS category is right of residence and right to work in the country of the duty station at the time of application.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.